Sunday, November 6, 2016

Horrorstor

Horrorstor is by Grady Hendrix. What to say about this book? It's like Poltergeist in an IKEA, okay weirded out yet? The story takes place in an IKEA rip-off, and it admits to being so, called Orsk. Weird things seem to be happening in the store at night so the deputy store manager, Basil, decides to catch the culprit before the corporate suits arrive the next day. He enlists the aid of two other employees, Amy and Ruth Ann, and they decide to patrol the store overnight and find out what's going on. The group finds themselves joined by Matt and Trinity, two want-to-be ghost hunters, who believe the store is haunted - unfortunately for everyone, Matt and Trinity are right. There were parts of this book that had me laughing out loud and parts that scared me silly. I have never read a humorous horror story before, but I really enjoyed it. The humor made the horror a little easier to read, but the book was still scary. The book is also laid out like an Orsk sales catalogue which describes in detail at the beginning of every chapter the wonderful furniture offerings available at Orsk. I was surprised by how much I liked this book, and so...I recommend it to all fans of horror, and even those who aren't.

Ratings: 11th grade - 9 out of 10 - V (Violence) - AC (some mature thematic content).

No comments: