Sunday, March 13, 2022

As I Lay Dying

As I Lay Dying is by William Faulkner. A classic historical fiction tale by the master of modernist writing. This is the tale of a poor rural family. Their mother is dying and the father has promised to bury her in her home town in a neighboring county. The various chapters are told from a wide variety of points of view and is challenging to read. It's not just the dialect, it's the stream-of-consciousness writing that can be very difficult to follow. The writing is beautiful and the characters are heart-breaking and disturbing. While I understand the artistry of the book, it is just not in my personal wheelhouse, although I am very glad to have read it. 

Ratings: 12th grade - 6 out of 10 - P (profanity) - AC (mature thematic content). 

No comments: