Monday, October 9, 2017

My Favorite Things is Monsters Volume 1

My Favorite Thing is Monsters Volume 1 is by Emil Ferris. Wow, I don't know what else to say - just WOW! This is one of the most beautifully drawn graphic novels I have ever seen. It is a work of art. It took me forever to finish the book because I kept studying the pictures. This is the story of a young girl whose mother is dying of cancer, whose father is out of the picture, and whose brother is, let's just say "not as clean and pure as the wind-driven snow." It is set in Chicago in the late 1960s. Karen Reyes wants to be a monster, she doesn't want to be a girl. When her neighbor is killed she tries to determine who might have done it, while dealing with her mother's illness, her own same sex feelings, and her brother's troubles. The story is powerfully told and poignant, but it's the artwork that makes this book a keeper.

Ratings: 11th grade - 10 out of 10 - P (profanity) - AC (mature thematic content) - V (violence).

No comments: