Thursday, January 1, 2009

Sounder

Sounder is by William H. Armstrong. The classic tale of a poor African-American family in the 19th century South. The boy's father is a sharecropper struggling to feed his family. When he steals a ham and is sent to prison the young son must take his place as provider. The fact that none of these characters, other than the dog, is ever named makes them even more realistic as they come to represent so many others who lived as they did during this period. A classic tale and a must read for persons wishing to be considered well read.

Ratings: 5th grade - 9 out of 10.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I read Sounder I loved the book. I found the dog to be an amazing animal he was a very loyal dog. I liked the story of the boy and his fathers hunting dog. I had never heard of the type of dog sounder was and this dog amazed me. This boy also had a hard life and it was intresting to hear the strugles his life was. I enjoyed it and hope you read Sounder because it is a good book without bad language.